- 3 medium-sized eggplants (I used the largest eggplant I had ever seen)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 32 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella
- 8 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 3 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- 20 basil leaves, chiffonaded
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 2 cups fresh tomato sauce
Peal the eggplants and slice them lengthwise. Place the eggplant on a rack, season with salt. Set aside for 10-15 minutes, water will begin to come out of the eggplant slices. Wipe the eggplant dry. Heat a sauté pan over medium heat. Spray the pan with cooking spray, and heat the eggplant for about 3 minutes per side, to get a slight browning on each side. Allow eggplant slices to cook.
In a large bowl, combine egg, cheese and pine nuts. Fold in the basil, do not over mix.
Place an eggplant slice on a cutting board, and spoon 1 tablespoon of the cheese filling onto one end. Roll up the eggplant, and place in a large baking dish, seam side down. Repeat with all eggplant slices. Cover with about 2 cups of the tomato sauce and some grated Parmesan cheese. Bake at 375F for 15 minutes.