A blog by ordinary people about living an extraordinary life
Since Danny awarded me with the Kreativ Blogger award, I have been thinking about how I could write 7 interesting things about myself. It is actually quite a task to come up with a list. Not that I am not an interesting person, I certainly like to think I am interesting. 🙂 So, here goes:
7 interesting things about me
1. I once crossed home plate at Fenway Park. I took part in the inaugural Red Sox Foundation Run to Home Base 9K fundraiser. The Home Base Program raises funds to support troops who suffered traumatic brain injury while serving in Iraq and Afghanistan. I had the chance to meet several veterans at the race, and it was a truly inspiring day. I was unable to take part in the past 2 events, but I hope to get back out there next year.
2. Speaking of traumatic brain injuries, I am currently working on starting a company that offers educational programs for youth sport organizations to educate parents, coaches and players about the dangers of concussions. This was something that I started planning when I was getting my MBA, and I spend a lot of my “free” time working on ideas. I am fortunate to have some great friends who are behind this idea, and I hope to have more to report in the future. You can always read my thoughts on stories related to concussions at my other blog: headonawareness.wordpress.com
3. During the summer, not only do I play softball, but I am also an umpire. Working as an umpire has given me a new appreciation for the work that these guys do. It is often a thankless job, but I find the friendships with the other umpires to be worth the sometimes hassle, and the few extra bucks we make during the season is nice too.
4. In high school I had a chance to coach my little brothers soccer team. It was great fun. Though they never won a game, and only scored one goal all season, it was fun to do something with my brother, who is 10 years younger than me, and hopefully teach those kids something about soccer.
5. Meghan and I love to travel. Our first vacation was a cruise along the west coast of Mexico, and since then we have taken many other vacations. Yet, I have never been to Europe. In fact, it took until I had graduated from college before I even left the country, a trip over the Canadian border to Niagara Falls. Since that trip, I have traveled to both coasts of Mexico, several islands in the Caribbean and Hong Kong. I am by no means a world traveler, but I am trying my best to visit interesting places.
6. As you all know, I have 2 dogs, and I treat them like my kids. I grew up always having cats in our house, but now I cannot imagine a day without a dog. As much as they can drive me crazy, there is really nothing better than coming home and being greeted at the door by 2 little guys who always look forward to seeing you.
7. I would like to have a show on Food Network. I watch a lot of Food Network, and it still surprises me that there are not more shows cooking really healthy foods. There was a contestant on this seasons Next Food Network Star who wanted to bring healthy food to Food Network, but they got kicked off in week one. Maybe Food Network is not ready for that. What I do know is that I enjoy cooking with fresh, local ingredients, and I think if more people ate like this there would be less health issues in the US.
Well, these are some interesting things about me. In the next week, I will highlight some inspiring blogs that I follow. Some are about food. Some are about travel. Some are just about funny things that happen in life.